Clearing the IBM Connections widget cache
When you develop OpenSocial gadgets or iWidgets for IBM Connections, you will generally configure the server for your new widget/gadget and then restart the affected IBM Connections application. For example, if you are creating a new iWidget for Communities, you would perform the following steps (at minimum):
- Create an XML widget descriptor file and deploy it with your application
- Update widgets-config.xml with details for your new iWidget
- Restart the IBM Connections Communities application
At some point in the future, you might need to make changes to your widget/gadget. When you do this, there is a good chance you will encounter some caching issues. That is, if you update your existing widget/gadget, your changes may not be reflected on the server.
If you encounter caching issues, you should clear the widget cache. By issuing a wsadmin command, you can clear out the cache and force a reload of your widget/gadget XML. Here are the relevant commands (from a Linux environment using default paths):
- cd /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/Dmgr01/bin
- ./wsadmin.sh -lang jython -user wasadmin -password passw0rd
In my experience, I tend to see the caching issues more with a Medium or Large deployment topology. If you are developing your application using a Small deployment, you might not encounter these caching issues (although it is still possible).